Museum of Anthropology
The Museum of Anthropology (MOA) at the University of British Columbia houses approximately 38,000 ethnographic objects in its collection. The founding collection of the museum includes the majority of MOA's Fijian material and was donated by Mr Frank Burnett in 1927.
There are approximately 281 items of Fijian material culture in the museum's collections, which were primarily collected in the late 19th to early 20th centuries. The oldest Fijian object that the museum holds was collected by Reverend John Williams between 1816 and 1840. Contemporary Fijian material is also being actively collected; however, most of the objects of recent manufacture were acquired from the South Pacific Pavillion after the the closing of Expo '86 in Vancouver.
MOA has been active in engaging with the local Fijian communities that reside in the Metro Vancouver area and, through the work of Dr Carol E Mayer, has collaborated with them during multiple events.